Berend te Linde

close up
Mechanical Birds
This project was probably way too ambitious. I set the goal to make a robotic bird. I had around 3 months time and some experience with RC stuff so how bad could it be...

So I started making tons of prototypes and material tests but turns out its really hard to make something fly up with just a flapping mechanism. Prototype after prototype crashed within seconds of flying. But after being completely emerged in these birds for months I finely got a prototype working (this was version 17).

I decided that I wanted to release them into nature to see if my robotic birds could survive.

One drowned and others died within 10 seconds. But one! One flew up high into the sky, meet a fellow bird, flew a few rounds and savely landed after a few minutes. Which I consider as a success!

VIDEO TO BE ADDED SOON
close up